- It is particularly effective for patients with a larger BMI as the procedure has more predictable weight loss outcomes, significantly(60 to 80 percent excess weight loss).
- Hormonal changes resulting from surgery mean most patients have an almost immediate reduction in their need for diabetic medication, and some can completely stop diabetic medication altogether.
- In addition to weight loss, gastric Bypass tends to have the strongest effect on high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and other obesity-related health issues.
- It is also effective for those people who tend towards high sugar or high-fat foods. Dumping syndrome is directly linked to a high sugar, high fat intake. Symptoms of dumping are unpleasant and therefore discourage the intake of high calorie, sweet foods.
Advantages of laparoscopy over open surgery include:
- Have less pain
- This surgery takes about 2 to 4 hours.
- Shorter hospital stays and quicker recovery.
- Smaller scars and a lower risk of getting a hernia or infection.