Gastric Bypass Surgery

Gastric Bypass surgery is also known as Bariatric Surgery or weight-loss surgery. It is a surgical procedure that helps you lose weight by changing how your stomach and small intestine handle the food you eat.
Olivia

Gastric Bypass Surgery

Unread post by Olivia » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:13 pm

Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass surgery also known as “Roux-en-Y” gastric bypass is a weight-loss surgery. It is a surgical procedure that helps you lose weight by changing how your stomach and small intestine handle the food you eat.

In a gastric bypass, a surgeon creates a small pouch at the top of the stomach. This pouch becomes the new stomach. Surgeons then connect the pouch to the middle part of the small intestine, bypassing the upper part of the small intestine.

After the surgery, the stomach pouch holds a lot less food than a normal-sized stomach. A person will eat less, feel full sooner, and be less hungry. And fewer calories and nutrients are absorbed because the small intestine is shorter.

• Your surgeon will use staples to divide your stomach into a small upper section and a larger bottom section and make the large surgical cut to open up your belly. The top part of your stomach (called the pouch) is where the food you eat will go. The pouch is about the size of a walnut. It holds only about 1 ounce of food. Because of this you will eat less and lose weight.
  • Then your surgeon will connect a small part of your small intestine to a small hole in your pouch. The surgeon uses the tiny camera for this surgery, called a laparoscope. The food you eat will now travel from the pouch into this new opening into your small intestine. Due to this, your body will absorb fewer calories.

Gastric Bypass Surgery Cost
India is the most preferable destination for patients who are looking for low cost obesity surgery. The cost of the obesity surgery in India is typically a fraction of the cost for the same procedure and care in the US and other developed countries. The cost can vary depending on type of surgery and other medical conditions of a patient.

USA $23,000
UK $18,500
India $5,000
Thailand $7,500
Singapore $9,000
Malasiya $8,200
Costa Rica $11,000
Mexico $14,000

The cost of the Gastric Bypass surgery in India is typically a fraction of the cost for the same procedure and care in the US and other developed countries. However, low costs does not mean that the hospitals compromise with the quality of medical treatment.

Gastric Bypass Surgery in India is a great option to a medical tourist from abroad. The hospitals for gastric bypass in India offer attractive packages to medical tourists, which enables them to save thousands of dollars. These packages include gastric sleeve cost, and all the costs that a foreign medical traveller would otherwise incur including boarding, hotel booking, travelling accommodation and food costs.

Sofia

24 year old | gasttric Surgery

Unread post by Sofia » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:11 pm

I’ve been overweight since I was born (5.2kg! My mother still complains to this day). So I’ve sort of been used to being the bigger person throughout my whole entire life, but I had ballooned over the past 5 years to 158kg. I had been considering getting bariatric surgery for years now but I’m finally at the stage where I can afford to do so. At this point when I’m starting out in a finance career, no matter what I do, I can’t seem professional when I’m this overweight. I’ve got my surgery scheduled now for Jan 2018.

Iminathi

Re: Gastric Bypass Surgery

Unread post by Iminathi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:57 pm

I had a phone consultation with my surgeon and it was pretty useful. When I went for the initial consultation, I had opted for a Gastric Sleeve, however over the past few months I had debated if it really is the best option for me. Portions aren’t a problem for me, my demon has been sugar. So after talking a while, with my age, ‘demon’, and excess weight to lose, we decided it’s best to go for the Bypass.

It really hit home for me when I was speaking to the surgeon that after all these years (literally my whole life), I was drastically going to change. And the change itself doesn’t just come about by the surgery, it’s the life changes that have to happen before and during for it to be successful, and those that come about as a result of the success.

As I embark on a three week long VERY low calorie diet soon, I thought to write down some things that I will gain as a result of the hard work that is to come.

• I’d be able to shop in stores everyone shops in and not have to go to the ‘curve’ section that is hidden away from the rest of the store.
• Flying will be much MUCH more enjoyable when you don’t have to signal an air hostess to bring you a belt extension as the standard size doesn’t fit.
• I will be able to sit in booths with tables.
• I will not need to let a receptionist prepare a have a wider chair whenever I have a board meeting to attend.
• I won’t be accidentally brushing cutlery off someone else’s table as I walk past in a restaurant.

There will be so many things that I will be gaining by losing this weight

Sofia

Re: Gastric Bypass Surgery

Unread post by Sofia » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:03 pm

I have started my pre-op diet.
I made the payment today and immediately felt broke.
But I took these pictures today because I had never taken pictures like these before. To log the difference pre and post op.

Leilani cox

Talk with the surgeon

Unread post by Leilani cox » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:51 pm

I had a phone consultation with my surgeon and it was pretty useful. When I went for the initial consultation, I had opted for a Gastric Sleeve, however over the past few months I had debated if it really is the best option for me. Portions aren’t a problem for me, my demon has been sugar. So after talking a while, with my age, ‘demon’, and excess weight to lose, we decided it’s best to go for the Bypass.

It really hit home for me when I was speaking to the surgeon that after all these years (literally my whole life), I was drastically going to change. And the change itself doesn’t just come about by the surgery, it’s the life changes that have to happen before and during for it to be successful, and those that come about as a result of the success.

As I embark on a three week long VERY low calorie diet soon, I thought to write down some things that I will gain as a result of the hard work that is to come.

• I’d be able to shop in stores everyone shops in and not have to go to the ‘curve’ section that is hidden away from the rest of the store.
• Flying will be much MUCH more enjoyable when you don’t have to signal an air hostess to bring you a belt extension as the standard size doesn’t fit.
• I will be able to sit in booths with tables.
• I will not need to let a receptionist prepare a have a wider chair whenever I have a board meeting to attend.
• I won’t be accidentally brushing cutlery off someone else’s table as I walk past in a restaurant.

There will be so many things that I will be gaining by losing this weight

Sofia

Pre Operative Assessment

Unread post by Sofia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:02 pm

I went to the hospital where I’ll be having my Gastric Bypass in over a week.
The pre op diet has been a pain.
I had some solid food here and there which worries me that I’m not as disciplined as I should be at this stage.
My current weight. 155.0kg
At a height of 162.8cm, that brings my BMI to 58.5.
I had along hard talk with the nurse and talking about everything was really helpful but also made me realise that I’m very close now. I recently broke up with my partner of 2 years mainly due to my not being comfortable with myself as I am right now. And while that depressive state led me to gain more weight, it also made me come to the decision of having this surgery done. I talked to a friend of mine who underwent the same surgery last year and had dropped 90kg in the past 12 months. She has been really helpful in preparing me mentally for things that will change. My ECG showed sinus tachycardia which isn’t particularly terrible, but it certainly is worrying. Hopefully my blood results come out soon just to clear me well enough for surgery.